I’m going to start this post with a disclaimer: I pattern tested this top. Which means that I didn’t pay for the pattern. I provided the fabric and my time free of charge. This was all done willingly because I liked the style of the pattern and I also like the designer. I think that I’m still able to give an unbiased review, but according to research the simple act of being given something does influence you, whether you think it does or not, so take this blog post as you will. There’s a well researched and thought-provoking series about this and how it applies to sewing blogging over on Zoopolis here, here, here, here and here. Anyway, I’ll let the photos tell the story!
I love a knit top. I love a loose knit top. And I love a top that can be constructed entirely on the overlocker. In around an hour.
Debbie of Lily Sage & Co, who designed this top, is very tall and very slim, so I was curious to see how it would work on 158cm plumpish me. I have to say that I think that it works very well! I sewed a straight size Large as per my measurements and made no alterations at all. That’s how I usually do things if I am pattern testing – I think that feedback on the pattern exactly as it stands is important. From the pattern page:
The Sea Change top is loosely fitted, with wide kimono sleeves. The hem is designed to fall just below the natural waist for a modest, cropped look that will both complement and showcase high waist pants and skirts. The top length can easily be lengthened through the top. The armbands and bottom hem band can also be altered in length for different looks.
Light to medium weight, drapey fabrics will be the most flattering choices for this top. Options include knit fabrics like jersey, viscose, and rayon. Woven fabrics like silk satin, silk crepe de chine, and habutai will also suit this pattern. Extra fabric may be needed to match plaids, stripes or directional prints.
This is definitely loosely fitted, and I could possibly have made the size Medium, but I think that the Large is absolutely fine. I used one fabric throughout, but the arm and bottom bands can be made in a contrast. The pdf pattern went together well, and the instructions were very thorough.
The fabric is a rayon/lycra jersey remnant from Tessuti. I pre-washed it (as I do most garment fabrics) and I have a very strong suspicion that it is going to fade and pill very quickly. I love the colours and the drape but am quite uncertain about the quality of this fabric. I won’t be happy if it deteriorates after just a couple of wears!
There is a discount code for Lily Sage & Co at the moment. It also applies to the Twirl To Me dress, which I pattern tested as well. I’ll get it up on the blog once I have some better photos. This is a top pattern that I will definitely use again. I’ll be interested to try it in a woven.