I made this the size that it was already traced – which I think was a W – but ran the side seams in a little bit. I am still wearing both the other tops I’ve made from this pattern, and they are a fraction loose around the body which makes the ruched front overlay sag rather than ruche.
This is the 3/4 sleeve version, with the ruched front overlay and a modesty panel. If only I’d read my blog post from the last time I made this I would have remembered that the modesty panel causes some pulling where it is sewn into the armhole. Not that it’s very noticeable in this busy fabric anyway. The granny squares weren’t printed quite on grain, which caused me a little distress when cutting out the pieces. In the end they are slightly angled along the bottom hem. I compromised between grain and print lines – still not sure which one I should have taken the lead from. Hems were secured with Heat’n'Bond Lite before twin needle stitching.
This is a lovely weight fabric, and it’s certainly a unique item. I wore it to the Craft and Quilt Fair on Thursday, and when someone recognised me from my blog she asked whether I had blogged it yet! I had a lovely day out at the Fair, after first visiting GJs for backing fabric and wadding for my Medallion Quilt. And the best bit – I ran into Jan as soon as I arrived and we were able to wander around the quilts and chat together. All that I bought was a bag full of interfacings and tapes from Freudenberg/Vilene. Very restrained – especially considering all the wonderful yarn that was there this year to tempt me. I also had a lovely time chatting to Jan’s friend Bonnie and was lucky enough to meet up with my friend Tanya for the second time in 24 hours! A terrific afternoon away from everything – just what the doctor ordered.