I’ve been trying to use up odd sized fabric leftovers this year. It is a great way to try out new patterns and sew maybe wearable muslins, and it pushes me creatively. I thought it was better that I get them blogged than wait until I get modelled photos (which might never happen). For instance, this top was sewn in January!
This is the Pattern Emporium Crush On Me tee in the scoop neck version. Isn’t that fish fabric fabulous! It came from Clear It a couple of years ago. I think that I only have the smallest of scraps left. I didn’t have enough to use the same fabric on the back, or for the bands, so found other small pieces of knits that coordinated to use instead. I had to add a seam down the centre back.
As you can see, this is a very simple top pattern. There really isn’t much to it! The pattern website describes it as follows: The Crush On Me Tee is going to be your new best friend. Oversized to perfection with just the right amount of slouch and some subtle shaping to have you looking feminine, relaxed and cool as a cucumber! STYLE OPTIONS: Choose from tee, tunic or dress, scoop or boat neck, hi-lo or even hem, plain or pleat detail back. FABRIC SUGGESTIONS: Designed for stretch knit fabrics. The best fabrics to use are knits with drape & fluidity in both 2-way & 4-way knits. Options include rayon elastane jersey, polyester spandex, poly/rayon spandex, ITY jersey, wool jersey, rayon/bamboo elastane knit, rayon jersey, Boo! spandex. COTTON LYCRA IS NOT SUITABLE for the main part of this top but is suitable for the arm & neck bands because it tends to make an oversized garment look bulky.
Now what amuses me is that of course despite the fabric suggestions, that fish fabric that I used on the front IS cotton lycra. Whoops! And the top did feel about a size too big on me. It’s been given away now.
Now, this tunic really did take some pattern tetris to cut from the small amount of quilted knit that was available! It’s Vogue 9275, and you can see my previous rendition of this pattern here. The cowl neckline is in striped ponte; I had just enough of it from a previous project. This tunic adds some warmth at those times when I don’t want two lots of sleeves. Unfortunately I did have to shorten the cap sleeves a little to fit the pattern pieces on to my fabric, and this tunic doesn’t sit quite as comfortably in wear as the first one that I made. I’ll use this pattern again; I’d like to try this tunic in a lighter, softer, drapier knit, and try it without the cowl. The pattern also includes a jacket, leggings and pants – it’s very good value.
And here we have a Cashmerette Washington dress! I really wasn’t convinced that this pattern would work for me (and to tell you the truth, I’m still not convinced – although I reckon that if I got the proportions just right for me it would be something that I could sew over and over). But it’s certainly a great pattern for using up smaller pieces of fabric! The jacquard ponte-type embossed knit that I used for the top was left over from a friend’s Sewjourn project one year; the waist inset is ponte, and the skirt is woven wool remnant (possibly from Rathdowne Fabrics). I sewed size 12 C/D bodice, grading to 14 through the waist. And yes, it fits me, but no, I’m not thrilled. All. That. Black. I think that I need to raise the waist inset. Anyway, it’s still in my wardrobe, and I might take it to Sewjourn and ask my sewing mates to repin the waist seam to a better position for me then reassess. The upper bodice fit is lovely.
This tunic is made from what it looks like it was made from – a blanket! It’s soft and definitely garment weight. I picked it up at Restash; the colours and just perfect for me. I used Lekala 4610 for the general shaping, especially the neckline and associated facing, and adapted it a little to have all the hems end on the fringe. This tunic has been very warm and fun to wear.
I’ve actually got about five warmer weather tops to share that are currently only modelled on Ada, but I might make a concerted effort to get photos of those. The year is not yet over!