How about I start with the tunic? From the Style Arc website: This wonderful long line tunic is not only fashionable but comfortable and versatile as well. Design your own look by using contrast insert panels. We used a matching rib knit as a contrast. FABRIC SUGGESTION: Knit, Baby Wool, light Ponte, Jersey or any sweater knit.
I sewed mine in a lightish weight printed knit that was given to me, but I have a feeling was originally available from Tessuti. Such a great colourway for me! I used the same fabric throughout rather than taking up the opportunity to use a contrast in the inset panels and for the collar, but at some stage I will probably give that a go as well.
I used topstitching to highlight the seam lines throughout and to provide a bit of stability. I like that the collar is set into a V shaped neckline. It was easy enough to insert via sewing machine, ensuring that I started and ended the stitching at the point of the V.
I sewed size 12, but would do a high rounded back / forward neck alteration next time – it’s a bit chokey at the front for my liking. Overall this pattern is a winner for me; it’s straightforward to sew and is easy to wear.
So, to the pants! I’ve looked at this pattern for years. From the Style Arc website: These are a great ankle length elastic pull on pant featuring a tucked knee patch and design line treatment. A must have pant of the moment. FABRIC SUGGESTION & DESCRIPTION: Stretch Bengaline is perfect!
Do take note of the angle of the seam above the knee; it reality it is angled the opposite way to the fashion illustration, but the same way as the line drawing. I sewed these in size 10, in a stretchy textured jacquard from Super Cheap Fabrics. Your woven needs plenty of stretch to work well in this style.
I was concerned that the front knee piece might not fall in the correct spot for me, since I am short, but decided to just make this one up as per the pattern, and it’s worked out okay. Even though I’m 158cm tall, my leg length is long as compared to my torso (not that you can always tell in what are often quite foreshortened photographs). I shortened the pants an inch or so at the hemline, but didn’t muck around with the pattern pieces any higher up (I normally do).
Next time I make the pants I will do a full belly alteration – these are fairly comfortable once on, but I have to wriggle in to them a little more than I’d like! I need to add an inch or two to the front stomach area, and the elasticised waistband. Otherwise this is a nice addition to my stretch pants pattern collection.
I topped it all off with a Pattern Emporium My Embrace cardigan. This is a pattern that I’ve sewn before, and I sewed this one exactly the same as the last. Size 14, knee length ‘short person’, with long fitted sleeve. This fabric is a medium gauge knit, so has terrific drape and is relaxed enough for the cuffs to fit over the tunic beneath.
Construction was on the overlocker, and the hems were finished with a single turn to the inside of about 5/8″, then a zig zag. Using the zig zag effectively allowed for the raw edges to be finished at the same time as securing the hem. It also had the benefit of not stretching out the knit. I often feel that the zig zag is underestimated as a hem finish – particularly on knits!
Holidays finish for me today; I’m back to working (from home) again tomorrow, and Clare will be back at school (Stella gets another week of holidays while the state government figures out whether the rest of the kids will be returning to on site or to remote learning). These school holidays have not felt like holidays; I’m not feeling rested or reinvigorated at all. But am so grateful that we still have work.