Pinafores and overalls are all the rage at the moment! Clare is keen for me to sew her an ‘overalls dress’, but the pattern we fancy isn’t available in Australia yet. In the meantime, I sewed a pinafore for Stella! This was also part of my ‘the kids are away and I miss them so I will sew for them’ binge.
Stella was keen on a flared skirt – she likes to twirl! The pattern is McCalls 7459.
There are quite a few options with this pattern. Stella definitely wanted the traditional overall style bib of views A/D/E, and preferred the flared skirt of A and B over the gathered skirt.
With that decision made, I needed to figure out what size to sew. Stella has been through a major growth spurt this year – actually, a couple of weeks ago we had to throw out all of her shoes and buy replacements, because the ones in her wardrobe were three sizes too small! Her feet are the same size as mine now! She’s been growing up and up and up, but is still pretty skinny. Choosing a size is hard. In the end I sewed girls size 12. It’s great in length, but probably still too wide. Fortunately that really isn’t much of an issue with this type of style, and I do want to allow for a bit of growing room!
The denim comes from M. Recht, and I have to say that it’s lovely stuff. I never regret buying denim from them – it’s excellent quality. I went to Jimmy Buttons for the hardware for the buttons and buckles. That reminds me, because I chose to make the straps adjustable I lengthened them substantially when cutting out, as I knew that I’d be threading them through the buckles. The pattern is designed for standard fixed buttons and buttonholes.
There’s a zip in the side seam too – I used a fairly heavy weight metal one that I had in stash. There’s also a button at the waistband opening. I really don’t do a great job of hammering in those buttons – I often bend them a bit. It probably just takes practice, and I haven’t got the amount of pressure quite right. You need to bang hard enough for it to be secure, but not so hard that you make the button and it’s backing go out of shape!
As you can see, the pinafore is topstitched throughout. I used regular thread with a triple stitch, as I find that this gives me the best topstitching effect on denim. I’ve tried using upholstery thread in the past, but still prefer the finish I get with regular thread and a triple stitch.
I really hope that Stella gets some decent wear from this – it’s a trans-seasonal garment, and she really did need a few new things added to her wardrobe! We’re fortunate that my niece has a daughter who is five years younger than Stella, so we pass everything that Stella has outgrown down to her to keep or to redistribute among her friends. Stella’s wardrobe now looks the emptiest it’s ever been!