Many of you know that I am fortunate to have a highly talented friend, Nicole Mallalieu, who teaches sewing and fashion design and who also writes books. Her latest book is The Savvy Seamstress, and I’m pleased to be part of the book tour promoting it!
Nikki is a highly experienced fashion designer, pattern maker and teacher, who has been working in the industry all her life. She really knows her stuff. I actually took part in testing the instructions in the book while Nikki was in the process of writing it. Nikki’s previous two books have contained instructions for specific projects. This book is a little different. Actually, I think that it really fills a gap in the sewing book market. It give you the skills to change patterns – to add pockets, to alter openings, to draft and change collars, and so on. It’s not a fitting book, or a project book, or a pattern book, but a book that opens up your sewing skills so that you can really customise your patterns to be what you want them to be.
I used Nikki’s instructions to change the convertible collar of the Colette Negroni pattern to a classic shirt collar and stand. The book contains loads of photos and diagrams and really steps you through the process.
I took my time, and ended up with what I think was a terrific result. As I was testing the instructions I used calico and contrasting thread. Any error would be glaring – but there were none! Everything fitted together perfectly. And now I have a pattern all drafted for the next time I want to sew my husband a classic shirt.
I invite you to take a look at what the other blog tour participants have sewn using the information in The Savvy Seamstress, either on Instagram or on their blogs.
- 23rd April – C&T Publishing ctpub.com
- 24th April – Jennie Barnes @mrsbeckinsale, cravingsfrocks.blogspot.com
- 25th April – Annie Mollison @sewthispattern, sewthispattern.com
- 26th April – Leslie Keating @fibresmith, fibresmith.com.au
- 27th April – Meg McCarthy @cookinandcraftin, cookinandcraftin.blogspot.com/
- 28th April – Nichola Prested @handmakersfactory
- 29th April – Deepika Prakash @patternreview, patternreview.com
- 30th April – Caz Adams @usefulbox, usefulbox.com.au
- 1st May – Anne Whalley @annewhalley, annewhalley.com
- 2nd May – Lara Finlayson @thornberrylara, thornberry.wordpress.com
- 3rd May – Nicole Mallalieu nicolemdesign.blogspot.com
I use many of the tips and techniques that I’ve learned from Nikki’s books, patterns and classes in my sewing projects. They really do help in lifting my sewing to a more professional level. I also like that they encourage me to do my own thing and to successfully adapt and modify the patterns that I already own to better meet my needs.
Now, it wouldn’t be a blog tour without a giveaway! One of my blog readers will win their own copy of The Savvy Seamstress. Just leave a comment on this blog post, letting me know what you’re most likely to use this book for. I’ll draw a winner at the end of the week (please make sure that your comment has a way of contacting you). Good luck!
GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED – NO MORE ENTRY COMMENTS PLEASE