I was really hoping that I’d be able to squeeze a dress out of these fabric leftovers – but alas, no matter how I tried to wrangle it, there just wasn’t enough! So a tunic it was.
The fabric is a textured rayon woven from Darn Cheap Fabrics – I used it to make a jacket and had a fair bit left over. Because of the limited quantity there was not attempt made to balance or match the pattern – I just had to go with what I could do!
The pattern is Hot Patterns Fast and Fabulous Trilogy dress, tunic and top. I’ve sewn the top a few times now, and was quite keen to sew it as a dress. Next time! I sewed this in size 10 from memory (but would need to check the pattern pieces to confirm) which is a couple of sizes smaller than Hot Patterns suggest for my measurements.
I cut my own strips of bias to make fairly wide bias binding for the neckline and armholes. I applied the binding to the wrong side, then turned it to the front, enclosing the seam allowance, and top-stitched it in place from the front. It’s important to make the bias a decent width so you don’t run the risk of it fraying a little in the wash and threads peeking out (yes, I learned the hard way). It’s worked beautifully on this top.
There’s not much more to say about this tunic! Great fabric, simple pattern, and easy to wear. Definitely fast too. I think that I prefer the top length on me to the tunic. It’s good for work though!