This pattern was released a little while ago, possibly around a year ago? It’s been in my stash for a while, and I’ve seen a few versions of it online. There were lots of aspects that I liked in the drawing, but others that I wasn’t so keen on. Anyway, I recently sewed it up and I’m very pleased that I did.
This is the Style Arc Winsome designer dress, and in the above photo is how I wore it a week or two ago. You can’t see all the details with that scarf on though!
The versions I’ve seen of this online have been sewn in a variety of fabrics, including knits. I used a dark navy splodged with black cotton seersucker that was in stash – yes, originally from the Darn Cheap Fabrics $2 table. This dress takes a fair bit of fabric, and fortunately I had plenty!
I’ve been embracing some slower sews lately. Really, most of my clothes aren’t required in a hurry, and with working an extra day per week this year, I’ve really had to slow down in general with extracurricular activities! There are a few pattern pieces in this dress, and of course some details that take a little longer to sew and require more attention. No late night wine sewing when constructing plackets or fancy drapey pockets!
Style Arc describe this dress as follows: The drawstring back and the draped pocket it gives this dress a true designer look. The rolled up sleeves and the asymmetrical hemline allows this dress to be worn by those who love an Avant-garde look. This is a slightly oversized style which makes it such a comfortable dress to wear and not to difficult to make. FABRIC SUGGESTION Crepe, Silk, Rayon or any fabric that drapes.
Now, did you read that part where it says “fabric that drapes”? This slightly floaty cotton definitely doesn’t fit that bill, and that affects the overall look of the garment. I like the way it’s turned out, but it’s probably not what was envisaged by the designers, especially where the pockets are concerned. My are very structured in comparison to others I have seen. But to me that’s one of the joys of sewing – you need to know what the rules are so that you know what might happen when you break them!
This is a straight size 12, and I didn’t make any alterations for length. Size wise, I think it is a pretty good fit on me. It’s not too oversized, but that’s probably because I’ve been chubbing up a bit this year and my usual size 12 fits differently! I measure closer to a 14 now. The curved hemline is a bit of fun – there is a fair bit of volume in the skirt when the breeze catches the fabric!
The front and back princess seams make fitting and sewing straightforward, and the back drawstring casing is easy to make. Only the front placket took a little bit longer, but the instructions were quite adequate. Actually, choosing buttons was the most difficult part! I auditioned all sorts – self, contrasting, flat, shank – but in the end went for these very dark navy buttons that blended well with the fabric. I’m glad I did, as it lets the accessories shine.
This pattern will get another outing, in something much drapier. And yes, those huge drapey pockets are quite reminiscent of a couple of Marcy Tilton dresses I’ve sewn in the past. There’s definitely something that attracts me to them!