These two patterns were not bought to go together – but as it turns out, when I finally got around to taking photographs of recently sewn garments they worked together fairly well!
I bought the Style Arc Annika top after seeing it on The Demented Fairy. I really loved the way she’d combined different fabrics, so took a look through my stash and found a woven crepe and a knit that were almost exactly the same colour.
Style Arc describe the Annika as follows: Mix knit and woven fabrics together in this versatile style to create an interesting wardrobe staple. The dropped shoulder and the woven split cuff along with the body combination will become a go to garment.
I used the wool/acrylic knit for the upper body and upper sleeves and neckband, with the crepe for the lower body and the split cuff. I sewed size 12 throughout. I really like the fit of this pattern and those little details, including the curved hemline.
I haven’t actually worn this top yet, because it’s been winter and cold since I sewed it. I really don’t want to crush those cuffs by forcing them under a jacket or cardigan, but I think that as soon as the weather is more consistently warm this top will get quite a bit of wear. I’ll definitely be pulling more coordinating knits/wovens out of stash with this pattern in mind!
So, on to the pants. The pattern is the Style Arc Talia, and the fabric is something from stash. It’s a woven, in a dark greeny/browny/grey colour that is really difficult to describe and even to get accurate in photos. I suspect that it came from the Darn Cheap Fabrics $2 table. It’s got quite nice drape, and I suspect that it’s a polyester blend.
From the Style Arc website: This is a great pant with a lovely shaped leg, not too slim and not too wide, just right. The flat front waist band keeps the tummy area flat, the elastic back band allows it to pull on and wear it with comfort. There are optional welt pockets. FABRIC SUGGESTION Crepe, Linen, Silk, Fine wool.
Fortunately, Style Arc have a link to a tutorial to help you with the welt pockets. I took them slowly and used the diagram in the instructions and didn’t have any hassles. I folded some of the leg length out of the pattern before cutting, but they’re still on the long side. Fine with heels, but I wouldn’t want them any longer. I may yet go back and hem them a little shorter.
I really like the waistband treatment, with wide elastic in the back waistband that has been sewn down to look like channels. With my waist to hip ratio this gives a good secure fit without too much bulk. I was much happier with these pants after I’d finished them and tried them on than I’d anticipated when cutting them out! Both these patterns definitely get the thumbs up from me.