When the weather changed from warm to cold a few months ago Clare complained that she no longer had long-sleeved tees that fit. Kids – they keep on growing! So I dived into the pattern stash, and over the course of a weekend she had around seven new long-sleeved tops to get her through the colder months. These are two of them!
Once again, this is a pattern I’ve used before, except last time it was a short-sleeved tee for Stella. It is the Hey June Morrison tee. It is one of a pattern line designed especially for Juniors – that tween and early teen age that can be challenging to fit in styles they like.
From the website: The Morrison Tee is a casual boxy fit dolman tee for juniors. Options include banded sleeves, cap sleeves, or long sleeves. Choose a hi-low hem, a straight hem, or either version with a front tie hem. The Morrison is perfect for 4 season wear and can be made dressier or more casual. Make a slubby gray front-tie tee for lazy Saturdays or use a pretty floral for a cap sleeve top to pair with a pretty skirt and sandals for fancier occasions. Personalize your Morrison Tee with cute iron-on decals, fabric paint, tie dye, or applique. This versatile top will be a wardrobe staple for your tween or teen!
I started with a long-sleeved version of the top with a straight hem. The design was mainly dictated by fabric restrictions – there was just enough of the Crafty Mamas printed french terry to get the body of a top, and I added sleeves from black viscose/cotton/spandex that was elsewhere in stash.
This was such a simple top to make! Front, back, sleeves attached to a dolman dropped shoulder so easy to attach in the flat, and a neckband. It was all assembled on the overlocker. I decided to use contrasting thread in the twin needle to topstitch down the neckband and hems, with pink in one needle and red in the other.
I sewed this in size 12, knowing that the style was designed to be slouchy and oversized. However, the sleeves did end up a little on the short side, and the body slightly more cropped than we hoped (that was unavoidable – we couldn’t add length to the body anyway with the amount of fabric that we had.
So when I cut out the next version, I added length to the sleeves – maybe an inch or two. By the way, Hey June has the sleeve pattern piece cut on the fold. This always drives me NUTS for sleeves that need two cut anyway, so I got out some tracing paper and turned the pattern piece into a full sized pattern. Much easier.
This fabric is a knit jacquard from Super Cheap Fabrics. I love this shade of green on Clare! We chose the version with the curved back hemline and knotted front this time. Body length was pretty much perfect in this style.
The knot section of the hemline is faced, and the rest turned and stitched. I finished the rest of the hemline and sleeve hems and neckline with a zig-zag on the sewing machine.
These were both fast and easy to whip up, and have entered regular wardrobe rotation.