The Vogue website describes the pattern as follows: Fitted (below waist) pants have elastic waistband and purchased ribbon drawstring, yoke back, side-front seams, no side seams, and side-front pockets. A, B: Elasticized leg bands. B, C:Stitched hems.
I sewed view B, with the elasticised cuffs. The fabric is navy tencel from Clear It. I’m quite pleased that tencel is around again. I used to have a pair of orange tencel jeans back in the 1990s…and actually I wish that I still had them! Ah, the memories.
I shortened these quite a bit by taking folds out of the pattern pieces before cutting, one above the knee and one below. I think I took out about three inches in total. I thought that I’d actually taken out too much length at first, but when I look at photos of these pants on a model on the Vogue website they are meant to be a little above the ankle.
It took quite a bit of fiddling to get the ankle elastic just right. My first attempt was way too tight and the pants rode up and sat on mid-calf. After loosening them a bit, and trying them on sitting and standing, I managed to find the sweet spot.
Rather than sewing three channels of elastic for the cuffs and for the waistband I chose to just use one channel with wider elastic for both. There is a fake fly at the front. I’m not completely certain why I both with these sorts of details sometimes, as they are only seen here on the blog, but at least I know that they are there.
I eliminated the drawstring completely. Overall I really like the fit of these pants. It was difficult to get good photos of them – I find pants difficult to photograph well in general, and my phone camera does some weird things to the proportions and makes my legs look super short (they’re actually quite long in comparison to my torso) – but I think that you can see that they while having a relaxed fit they are not sloppy. There are pockets in the slightly forward sides seams, which could be eliminated if you wanted a super fast sew, but are quite handy to have otherwise.
The top I’m wearing with them in these photos is the Tessuti Kate top, blogged here. I suspect that this pattern could get another outing at some stage. It ticks many of my boxes (especially that one for an elastic waist) and I’m very pleased that Kim suggested it! Worth adding to your stash.