Shortly after sewing my first Simplicity 1733 I decided that I “needed” another. But this time, I needed a maxi!
I really wanted a striped fabric for this one, because I knew that the stripes would do interesting things across the twisty front. I found this poly/spandex knit at Darn Cheap Fabrics.
Construction was pretty much the same as last time, except that I chose to have short sleeves as per the pattern instead of leaving the dress sleeveless. Once again I used a zig-zag stitch on all hems after they had been secured with vliesofix tape.
I did endeavour to match or at least balance the stripes throughout. They match along the side seams and sleeve seams, but are out along the armhole and bodice. Bummer. Looking at this photo I need to do a few more hand stitches to secure the centre front gathers higher behind the twisty knot – it looks to be drooping a little.
Once again the back is nicely supported by the elastic through the seam allowances were the back bodice and back skirt join. This allows it to then nicely flow over back rolls. This fabric worked extremely well with this pattern. I wore this dress to my husband’s family Christmas/Thanksgiving celebration on a hot day in early December. It was ideal!