This one was an impulse sew. After the success of the Lekala dress, I had another trawl through the Lekala website and happened upon a pattern for a skort, Lekala 7080.
I figured that it wouldn’t take long to tape together such a simple pattern, and it didn’t. The pattern appeared in my email in-box within minutes or ordering. Because it’s a girls’ pattern I only needed to enter height, waist and hip measurements.
You all know what a skort is, don’t you? Wordpress obviously doesn’t, because it keeps on trying to autocorrect the word to skirt. It is a pair of shorts that has an overlay on the front so that from the back you see shorts, but from the front you see a short skirt. Therefore, skort.
The fabric is a printed pinwale corduroy from stash. I have a feeling that it was given to me by someone having a clean out of an older friend or relative’s cupboards. I love the muted sage greens and greys on black, but Clare hasn’t found it terribly easy to coordinate with her tops. Oh well, I’ll just have to sew some more!
Construction wise things were fairly straightforward. I actually followed the instructions, which were quite logical and assisted in a highly satisfactory finished garment. There are four pattern pieces. Shorts front and back, front overlay, and waistband. The waistband is interfaced and has elastic in the back only. The line drawing suggests that there are darts in the back of the shorts, but there were no sign of these in the pattern thatI received for Clare’s measurements.
The front overlay is supposed to be secured with a square of velcro, but I didn’t see the point and just stitched it down to the waistband. All the stretch for getting the skort on and off is in the back waistband, not the front. Overall this was quite a satisfying garment to sew, and it has turned out to be a highly wearable muslin. Clare intends to choose another fabric from my stash for a second pair.