So, another experiment – this time Lekala 4393, described simply as “knit dress”.
Lekala patterns are so cheap that I really don’t mind experimenting with them. They are a great way to try out different styles, since I know that they will basically fit me (depending on what measurements I plug in) and consequently my opinion on the final garment will be more about whether I like the style on me than about whether it fits me or not.
Because this was such an experimental garment, I made it in scraps left from an earlier project. The fabric is a knit from Darn Cheap Fabrics, and I think it is still available on their website. I used both sides of the fabric, with the more solid side as a contrast.
I think that the line drawing looks more fitted than the finished dress, although the fashion drawing on the Lekala website is on the loose side as well. When I ordered this pattern I asked for “reduced” shoulder width. It turned out to be much more reduced than I needed – my shoulders aren’t broad, but they’re clearly not as narrow as I thought either. Subsequent Lekala orders have left the shoulder width alone as “regular”. The shoulders on this dress look okay in these photos, but in wearing are a bit weird.
Did you notice those pockets in the princess seams? I love that! If I made this dress again I would lengthen the sleeves to full length, as a winter knit dress is a little useless with elbow length sleeves. They’re also a bit tight around the hem. The collar needs a brooch, pin or button to hold it in place.
When I first made this and tried it on I put it straight into the op shop pile. But by the time I put it on again for these photos I decided that I actually didn’t mind it and gave it a reprieve. I still haven’t worn it though, so if it doesn’t get an outing soon it is unlikely to survive my next wardrobe purge. Still, it was an enjoyable experiment, and I may well order this pattern again at some stage – without a reduced shoulder width adjustment!