It seems like a long time since I test sewed the Lily Sage & Co Twirl To Me Dress. I intended to get better modelled photos of it before sharing it on my blog, but the weather has changed and it’s going to be a long, long time before I can persuade Clare to wear a summer frock outside in the cold just so that I can take photos. These ones were taken right at the end of the day and there was barely enough light – but you can still tell how lovely this dress is.
The dress is described on the pattern page as follows: This dress is made for twirling. It is fitted through the chest, but volumes out into a trapeze shape. The hem is graduated to give the dress a beautiful shape from all angles, and the front bow fastening is a unique detail you won’t see anywhere else. There is also the option of using a button instead of a bow. The dress can be made in two length options; as a dress or a tunic/top. Suitable fabrics: Most light-medium weight wovens, including lawn, quilting cotton, poplin, Broderie Anglaise, silk dupioni, silk crepe de chine, taffeta, silk satin, rayon, wool crêpe
The pattern comes in sizes 3 – 10, and I sewed size 10 for my slim and small 12 year old. This is the test pattern dress length.
We used a couple of vintage buttons from stash for the back closure, but Clare could get the dress on without undoing them. And yes, the dress really does twirl!
I used a quilting cotton that was in stash (originally from Spotlight) as Clare liked the colours and print. She wasn’t overly enamoured with the bow at the centre front. She thought that it looked pretty, but felt that it was a little young for her. Well, she is twelve and at high school!
The pattern now comes with the option of a button closure at centre front instead of the bow. Clare definitely likes this option and has asked for her next Twirl To Me dress to have the button. She loved the slight high-low hemline, the twirl factor, and the overall comfort level of the dress.
This photo shows the fabric colour and print a little better. Construction wise, I found the instructions to be very good. I’m not sure what changes Debbie made between the test and the final pattern, but overall I have been quite impressed with her drafting and instructions. There was a nice mix of written instruction and diagram. I used the sewing machine for most of the construction but the overlocker where appropriate. The hem is finished with bias binding, which gives a nice detail considering that with it being a high-low hemline you can see the inside of the skirt at the back.
Unsurprisingly, Stella wants one too!