Clare has worn the Perri Pullover I made her last May quite often. During my March sewing spree I made her a second version.
I used the size 8 pattern, exactly the same as last time. Clare has grown taller but this pattern runs HUGE! I know that it is meant to be, but wow, this has to be as oversized as things come. Especially in this softer, lighter weight fabric.
The jacquard jersey knit came from Super Cheap Fabrics in Sydney Road. You’ve seen it before in a pink colourway – I made Stella a dress from it. Now I wish that I’d bought more. The striped fabric used for the bands (and pockets) is from Tessuti – it’s the viscose/lycra stripe that was part of their Jaywalk competition last year. Wish I’d bought more of that too!
This time I really did have to follow the instructions and double over the neckband. As per the pattern it is cut the same width as the cuffs and bottom band. But when folded in half and attached to the wide neckline, it rippled and flopped, much more than last time. That was probably because the fabric was much softer. I did what the instructions said and folded it to the inside again, and stitched that in place with a zig zag along the overlocked edge. This has made the neckband sit much better, but also means that it is four layers thick. I would recommend that you halve the width of the neckband when cutting out rather than dealing with this level of bulk, especially in thicker fabrics. Or else embrace the floppy/loose neckband look.
Most construction was on the overlocker, although the pocket bags and side seams were attached with the sewing machine. I anticipate that this top will get as much wear as the other one, especially with leggings for lounging.