When raving about Lekala 5748 the other day, I mentioned that I am better off choosing garments with illustrations of “fuller-figured” girls in them to get the ease that I prefer. Lekala 4277 is a perfect example of when I did NOT do this.
The resulting dress is mostly an example of sewist error (not pattern error). I almost considered sending this dress to the op shop before having photos taken, but knew that in the interests of sewing blogging I should show you the failures as well as the triumphs.
Now remember, this is a pattern that has been drafted pretty much to my measurements. Let me list the wrong for you.
1. Bad fabric choice. I chose a slinky poly-lycra jersey from Spotlight that flows like liquid and clings to every curve. Especially the curves that I do not want to show off. And yes, I AM wearing a control slip in all of these photos!
2. Pattern placement. Appalling! I originally thought “oh yes, I should use some of the border in the pleated insert, that would provide nice contrast”. No, it puts bright white across my mid-section and draws your attention entirely to where I don’t want it to go. Duh.
3. Pattern placement again. Because this pattern is a border print, I cut it on the cross grain. This didn’t really make a difference in terms of the way that the fabric hangs on me, because it is 4-way stretch and will drop anyway. But you would think that I could have got it all symmetrical. Instead, the repeat is slightly off, both at the front and at the back.
Okay, what I like about it.
1. The neckline and cut-on sleeves. It fits beautifully around the shoulders and bust, and I love the small drape.
2. The colours and print. All quite out there!
I will never wear this dress. I may – and that is a dubious may – try it again in a ponte knit, which is actually much more like the fabric recommendation of “natural/mixed knit fabric of medium stretchiness” than the poly/lycra that I used. All that said, I still like Lekala!