I sewed this up at size 12 with a C cup FBA (the instructions for doing the FBA are in the pattern, hooray). The fabric was from stash. I think that it was originally from the Darn Cheap Fabrics $2 per metre table. It has a bit of a shot effect, with blue threads woven one way and white threads the other. In many ways it looks similar to the tunic on the pattern cover.
The front and back gathers are just under the yokes, leaving the sides flat. I really like the high-low hemline, and the cut on dolman sleeves. The collar worked out rather nicely too.
But you know what? This tunic was a fail for me. I feel absolutely HUGE wearing it. The colour is too pale for me, and I just don’t like the way that it feels on me when I move. So I gave it away to Rachael.
SO much better! Now don’t get me wrong, I do think that this is an excellent pattern. There is so much to like about it! But I have realised that in this fabric it really doesn’t mesh with my personal style. Lucky that it meshes with Rachael’s! I also added one more button to the front neckline for her, knowing that she prefers a more modest look than my often plunging necklines.
Rachael is much taller than me, so this was also a lesson in the importance of proportion. I would like to make this again, but I’ll need to choose the appropriate fabric much, much more carefully. For me it would be better in something extremely drapey, like a rayon or a cheesecloth or similar. And definitely in a different colour. And definitely shortened. Clearly, there are some lessons that take me a long time to learn!
At least something positive comes of each learning experience. I’m about to head off to Sewjourn for the weekend with Leith, Rachel and Anna. As always, I have many more projects packed than I could possibly hope to complete. Christmas dresses, here we come!