Another StyleARC make. The Tootsie knit top was last month’s free pattern. I sewed it up in size 12 straight out of the package. Luckily for me Anne had already made it, so I used her tips to finish the back neckline.
Although the front of this top looks as though there are pieces that wrap across one another, it is actually cut out in pieces and assembled a bit like a jigsaw puzzle. In addition, there are tucks at each of the seams. I took it slowly, and managed to have it come together very nicely. The judicious application of Vliesofix tape to fix each of the tucks and seams before they were topstitched helped a lot too.
I considered narrowing the shoulders before sewing this up, but have decided that with knits I often like to sew a pattern as is for the first try. They really do vary in cut, even within one brand, and if I treat each first version as a wearable muslin (or give it away after construction) then I can work out what will be best for that pattern. As this one stands, I don’t think that it requires much alteration, if any.
You can see the tuck lines along each seam a little better in this photo. The front neckline is nicely finished by the tucks, and by using a binding along the back neckline and wrapping it around the front edges when the shoulders are seamed, you get a very neat finish all around. I’m not entirely convinced about this sleeve length. I didn’t want the sleeves to finish at boob level, but wasn’t sure that a sleeve finishing right across the widest part of my arm would be flattering either. These may be a little long.
All the hems were finished with a twin needle. The fabric was lovely to work with – a beautiful cotton/lycra navy and white stripe from Darn Cheap Fabrics. Stripes work beautifully with this pattern. Because the weather is still cold here, I styled it with a purchased red cardigan and one of my many pairs of StyleARC Linda pants for work.