Sometimes I am so behind the other blogging dressmakers. I have only just made Vogue 8805, the colour blocked dress that was so popular when it was released well over a year ago. Now I am kicking myself because I could have done with this dress in my wardrobe much, much sooner!
I made this from remnants of ponte from other projects – so combined with the pattern that I bought at a Spotlight $5 sale and the cost of the thread, this project would have come in at under $10! And I love it. I wore it to conference the week before last (yes, I sewed this up at the beginning of October and have only just got around to photographing it yesterday) and it was perfect.
In this photo I hadn’t pressed the back opening flat after washing it – but normally it sits flat as it should (perhaps this dress isn’t entirely ironing-free after all). Rather than a hook and eye at the top I used a vintage button and thread loop. I sewed this at size 14 with the B cup and long sleeved option. The dress was shortened by taking a fold through the bottom band and through the centre band. I wanted to keep the proportions pretty much the same as in the photo.
The hem and topstitching were all done with a twin needle, in matching colours. This dress was SO easy to make. I am going to ferret through my ponte remnants and see if I can find enough to make the shorter sleeved version. Easy to wear, and I think it’s flattering. I’ve seen some beautiful solid/print versions on the internet too, and lovely ones in linen.
And I have a matching jacket in the same green. Very happy with this dress!