My first attempt at the StyleARC Marie jacket was always intended as a wearable muslin. I actually made notes about how I’d change the construction order when I was making it, and it was much simpler when I sewed it up the second time around!
The fabric is a textured light ponte from Darn Cheap Fabrics. Because of the texture it was slightly challenging to work with in places, but putting a new needle into the sewing machine and basting and using vliesofix tape occasionally seemed to do the trick. I used a 45 cm long chunky separating zipper, remembering to fuse it in place before stitching it. None of the front princess seam topstitching was done until the facings had been attached, and I did remember to finish the entire facing edge before attaching it to the rest of the garment
This is a relaxed jacket, but the topstitching and seams take it up a notch. I didn’t alter the length or make any changes to the shaping – boxy is okay for me. It can be worn open, but I tend to wear it zipped closed.
Anne noted that the new StyleARC Harper jacket pattern is a little like the Marie jacket, except simpler. I have a mesop jacket in the same style as the Harper, and it gets frequent wear. Something for me to remember for a future order, maybe! By the way, I think that Anne is a queen of StyleARC patterns – she has made a huge number of them, so if you’d like to see some of the designs photographed on another person instead of as pattern illustrations, pop over to her blog.