Back to another pattern I’ve used before, the StyleARC Polly pattern. I cut this out exactly the same as the last one, in size 12. However, this time I used single layer fabric, a very drapey viscose I suspect. I can’t remember where this fabric came from!
Once again, I think that this is a flattering style for me. V-necklines are usually good, although in this version it is lower than the previous one. Not too low, but not too far off too low! I really like the pleated neckline treatment, and it’s actually very simple to do with some tucks and gathers. The rest of the neckline is bound.
Hems were all finished with a simple medium zig-zag. I felt that in this thin and drapey fabric a zig-zag would give a flatter finish than a twin needle, which would possibly have ridged too much between the two lines of stitching. I did stabilise the fabric first with Vliesofix, but it has left the hemline a little bit wavy. Despite it being a very lightweight fusible tape, this fabric really does show every little lump and bump, and doesn’t just “flow” at the hemline but waves a bi. A little disappointing, but not a deal-breaker.
I was surprised to discover that the sleeves were much longer this time than last, despite having used exactly the same pattern pieces to cut it out. It shows what a difference fabric type and composition can make! Rather than shorten them by cutting and re-hemming, I decided to gather them up a little with elastic.
I very simply zig-zagged the elastic along the seam while stretching it to its fullest extent. I think that it has worked nicely and adds an attractive detail.
This is an outfit that I feel really good in. Hooray again for StyleARC! (And for Elk Accessories warehouse sales – if you are wondering where the necklace is from).