Another garment that was finished a few weeks ago was the StyleARC Polly top. I’ve spotted a very similar Burda pattern on a few sewing blogs lately. There is an inverted pleat and a box pleat in the centre front that folds over a gathered section to form the neckline detail.
The fabric is from Spotlight, and is slightly sheer. Because of that, I cut the entire top double. I did think carefully about the best way to cut each piece. In the end I cut the sleeves with the hemline on the fold, so that they are self-lined. I cut the back with the hem on the fold as well. Cutting with the hem on the fold didn’t work for the front piece, because the front hemline is curved, so I just cut it twice then treated the two pieces as one when assembling. I sewed up the side seams before inserting the sleeves in the round, which has meant that the sleeves only have exposed seams around the armhole.
I made size 12, without any alterations, and am quite happy with the fit. I’ll definitely use this pattern again – I’d like to try it in something a bit stretchier and drapier.
On another note, my dear friend Anne died peacefully this morning. I met Anne through my book group well over ten years ago, and I am going to miss so much about her. Her intelligence, her wit, her breadth of knowledge, her thoughtfulness, her insight, and her laughter. The world is a better place because Anne has been part of it.
Farewell my friend.