When we had the Melbourne Sewists meet-up at Tessuti back in August (wow, was it really so long ago?) many of us were rather taken by the Freddie Vest that Nikki was wearing. There have been a few popping up on Australian blogs since then, and now there is one more – mine!
Of course, with a vest pattern like this you need some closer photos.
The front fabric is a lovely satiny type of fabric that I had in stash from a Darn Cheap $2 per metre table binge earlier in the year. It was nice to sew with and I’m planning on making a dress from the remainder. The lining is a spotted voile, leftover from making a dress for Stella. I used some ribbon that I found in stash for the ties, and a textured bag-making remnant from Nikki for the back. One of the fun things about making this vest is the opportunity to mix and match fabrics.
I sewed this in size 14, the largest size. The back is fully lined, and the casings for the ties are sewn to the inside of the front. I didn’t make the tiny hems specified in the instructions, as the satin was difficult to press. Instead I just folded a narrow double-fold hem, and it still seemed to work okay.
My husband thinks that I need a visor and a blackjack table – he calls this my croupier vest. Hmmmm.