I rather love this bag. The fabric I chose to sew it in was rather weird. It’s a furnishing fabric remnant from Rathdowne Fabrics, and I have no idea what the composition could be. There is the blue print on the right side, and the reverse is white but you can also see black threads woven in somewhere on the right side. It’s almost like a double layered fabric. It is rather flexible, and not at all as thick as I had expected. I interfaced the outer, thinking that it was going to be quite stiff, but it’s actually still soft and floppy. It might have benefited from wadding. As it is, the bag is quite relaxed and unstructured.
There are a lot of details in my version of this bag. I chose to sew it with a zippered gusset closure, and interior patch pockets on one side and a zippered pocket on the other. The lining fabric is a quilting cotton.
I rather like the piped detail on the flap. The piping came from a Spencer and Rutherford clearance sale, and has been waiting for something just like this!
And because the bag is soft, and I like a bit more protection, I added bag feet to the base.
This bag is very comfortable to wear, with a wide strap that goes across my body. Despite the fabric having been rather weird to work with, it moulded easily around the gusset and I love the finished bag.
I used antique brass coloured hardware throughout, including for the zipper pulls. The pattern, interfacing and hardware is all from You Sew Girl – check her stockists page (or call in to the showroom) if you are after anything. Now I’m trying to decide what style of bag I’ll sew next – after I make a hat for Carmel‘s September Hat Sewalong, that is!