This pinafore was started at Sewjourn, but not completed until I got home. Essentially, it is New Look 6926 view A, but without the front tabs and with a ruffle attached to the bottom. The ruffle was cut from three widths of the fabric, so it is very full!
You know, sizing is just as inconsistent for children’s patterns as it is for women’s patterns, or women’s ready-to-wear clothing! This is size 4, and is generously sized (Stella turns 5 in less than a week’s time). Whereas the size 5 I make for her in Oliver + s patterns fit perfectly, with only a little bit of growing room, and the You Sew, Girl! dress I made her recently in size 5 fits beautifully too but with growing room. McVogueterrick and Simplicity/New Look patterns really do tend to err on the side of large throughout.
This is a simple pattern – front piece cut on the fold, back piece cut twice with an invisible zip in the centre, and then I added the ruffle. The neckline and armholes are finished with bias binding. Since I had the big ric-rac in a coordinating colour in my stash, I was unlikely to refrain from using it around the top of the ruffle and the neckline.
The fabric is from Darn Cheap Fabrics, but I bought it around five years ago. I actually used it for the first bag that I made after I discovered the world of sewing blogs – it’s blogged way back here in my second ever blog post. I wish that I’d bought more – it was beautiful to sew with and the colours are very much “me”. Fortunately they suit Stella too! The ruffle was finished with an overlocked rolled hem.
I really do enjoy sewing for my daughters, possibly because they are so happy to wear what I make (well, most of the time). It’s such a satisfying feeling when I hear them proudly announce “Mummy made my dress!”, and Clare often comments that home-made clothes “are best because they are made with love”. Very sweet.