Poor Miss Stella gets a bit left out with my dressmaking sometimes, because she has all of Clare’s hand-me-downs. Which she loves, by the way! She was only saying yesterday how lucky she was that she got all her sister’s old clothes once they were outgrown. I wonder at what age she might change her mind about that, if at all! So I made her a Nigella Tunic as well.
Once again I chose the pattern size based on height, then added an inch to the sleeve length – but could have added more – and two inches to the bodice length – but could have added less.
The construction was exactly the same as for Clare’s dress. This time I had enough fabric to make some matching leggings. I used design 17 from Ottobre 1/2011, which only has one pattern piece. The photo indicated that these were 3/4 length, so I added a few inches to the length to make them more appropriate for winter. I reckon that they took half an hour to make, including tracing and cutting out.
I’m glad that I lengthened the sleeves, but the longer bodice has altered the proportions too much. One inch extra would have been fine. Although she is growing quite quickly now, so it also means that it will fit her for longer. I’m really enjoying sewing at the moment – but my crochet output is suffering! Well, you can’t have it all.