I snuck in a quick hour of sewing one evening last week – the top was already cut out, and I assembled it on the overlocker. The pattern is Jalie 2804 Empire Crossover Top. For Australians interested in Jalie patterns, I bought these through Pattern Review.
The fabric is wool jersey from The Fabric Store. I made the long-sleeved version (well duh, you can see that from the photo) with the ruched lower front overlay. I left out the modesty panel, but on reflection it may have been useful to include it. I find v-necklines flattering on me and don’t really mind showing some cleavage, but at this depth it is better with a camisole under it or scarf over it for the workplace (casually it’s fine as it is). I cut size W with no modifications. I like fitted, but not tight.
The back view is interesting because I’ve noticed lately when looking at photos taken from behind that my right shoulder and shoulder blade are higher than the left, and there are some interesting drag lines as a result. They’re partly from the way I’m standing, but I’ve noticed a pattern. I carry my handbags on my right shoulder, and they tend to be filled to the brim. I wonder if I’ve been trying to compensate for the weight by lifting up that shoulder. I might need to think about how I can modify patterns to accomodate it. It’s still no worse than anything I’d buy ready to wear, but part of the joy of sewing for myself is about the finished product, not just the process.
I suspect that this pattern is going to get a real workout in a variety of fabrics and sleeve lengths, with and without the ruched front.