So, this is the dress that I did wear to the dinner! The Victory Patterns Satsuki dress.
Yes, it’s a sack – but a very bright, comfortable, satiny, slippery sack, with fluttery sleeves and a front flounce. And had I mentioned colourful?
I’ve just noticed that in the photo of the back the facing has flipped up – which is definitely not how I wore it! I threw this dress back on to get photos taken in a hurry the other day, and obviously didn’t pay a great deal of attention to the details. Anyway, back to the dress. It’s very simple to make, even in the slippery satiny fabric (from the Darn Cheap Fabrics $2 per metre table a little while ago). The v-neckline is a nice depth, not too low, but still low enough to give some proportion. I sewed it in size 10, and shortened it a couple of inches to allow for my lack of height. It is much shorter on the models in the pattern photos than it is on me, and I am still tossing up whether I should take it up another inch or two. It’s right on the knee at the moment.
I’d rather like to give the other version of the dress a try too. It has circular cut-outs at the shoulder, and a tie belt threaded through buttonholes at the sides. It still has the v-neck, but no centre front flounce. There are some more satiny slippery fabrics in my stash that could be fun in this pattern. Recommended! And it allows you to eat a huge dinner at a professional association function without any discomfort. Win!