Simplicity 2560

Since I seem to continue to add to my stash, I am also trying to sew from it.  Specifically, to turn “leftovers” from another project into a garment, and get rid of those scraps that are too big to throw out but too small to lend themselves to any old project.  The scraps that require a little thought and pattern layout manipulation.  I was able to fit all of Simplicity 2560 view A onto some lovely smooth fluid chocolate brown knit scraps.  This is a pattern that I’ve used a couple of times before.  I find short sleeved light jackets to be a handy extra layer for spring/summer/autumn in Melbourne, and this jacket can be pretty much assembled entirely on the overlocker.  But speaking of the overlocker – disaster!

bad overlocker!

Don’t you hate it when you are busy overlocking a couple of pieces together and you somehow manage to get another fold of fabric caught up underneath and – pow! – the overlocker blade has sliced through it somewhere. And in a stretch fabric, it’s incredibly difficult to repair. I was so annoyed with myself! Otherwise, I was really pleased with how well this was coming together. I didn’t have any fabric scraps left to recut the back piece. I did consider tossing it, but decided to go ahead and finish it anyway and then ponder what to do next. So, onto the finished jacket, with cut in the centre back. From behind:

Simplicity 2560 view A

And from the front:

Simplicity 2560 view A

Other than the cut in the back, I liked it! Chocolate brown goes with lots of my clothes, it’s easy to wear, and I’d done a good job of the hems (sewn on the machine, but the rest of the assembly on the overlocker). So the decision was made – it was design feature time. I canvassed a few possibilities, and ended up with a strip of stretch lace fabric in pretty much the same colour as the base fabric, applied just above the seam from front right around to the other front. So, the back now:

Simplicity 2560 view A

And the front:

Simplicity 2560 view A

I definitely would have preferred it without the lace, and don’t look too closely at the application, but overall I think that it looks more like a design feature than a hole repair. And now it has a future in my wardrobe!

Simplicity 2560 view A

About these ads

15 thoughts on “Simplicity 2560

  1. Nice recovery and excellent stash busting. That exact same thing with the overlocker happened to me last week when I was making a pink skirt for Miss B. Being an woven I ironed interfacing on the back and did some darning on the machine. The mended hole, which was right in the middle of front skirt price, is strangely not noticeable. Phew.

  2. Great save! I would have had tears & in the op shop bag if I’d done that (and I have in the past!) I’m so glad you shared, so when it happens again (I’m sure one day it will) I can try & come up with a creative solution – it looks great & no one (other than us) will ever know.

  3. Good save.. exactly what I would have done. I did the same thing on a red satin ball dress a few years ago. I was making it for NYE and overlocking the seams I cut a hole in it (I cried my eyes out and then went out and bought a dress)…it’s still waiting to have another panel cut and finished. One day!

  4. Excellent fix and a lovely finished article. (One of my sewing aunts lent her wedding dress to her soon-to-be daughter-in-law many years ago now. The dress was already quite old and, despite being looked after, had one or two wear spots. My aunt appliqued butterflies and bows over the spots and added a few extras. It looked great.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s